While the conventional methods of learning to code using data structures and algorithms can be effective in establishing the fundamentals, hackathons offer a number of advantages that can help people develop their coding skills in a more useful and meaningful way. Hackathons provide a thorough and engaging method for learning and enhancing coding skills, including working on real-world issues, collaborating with others, and building a portfolio of work. The chance to work on real-world issues and create workable solutions is one of the main advantages of hackathons. Contrarily, conventional coding exercises that concentrate on data structures and algorithms can be impractical and abstract. Data structures and algorithms are fundamental coding concepts that must be understood, but they do not always give a complete picture of what coding entails. By allowing participants to work on real-world issues that call for a variety of coding abilities, including front-end development, back-end development, and database management, hackathons provide a more practical approach. This can offer a more thorough and integrated understanding of how coding functions in real-world situations and how various coding skills can be combined.
The chance to work with others and gain knowledge from peers is another advantage of hackathons. Individuals working alone to solve problems during traditional coding exercises can be isolating. However, in a hackathon environment, participants collaborate to develop solutions in teams. This can help people learn from others and expose them to various coding techniques and styles, which can help them develop their skills. The chance to work with others and gain knowledge from peers is another advantage of hackathons. Individuals working alone to solve problems during traditional coding exercises can be isolating. However, in a hackathon environment, participants collaborate to develop solutions in teams. This can help people learn from others and expose them to various coding techniques and styles, which can help them develop their skills.
The learning and development of coding skills can be fun and interesting through hackathons. Traditional coding exercises may be uninspiring and repetitive, which discourages motivation and engagement. On the other hand, hackathons are vibrant and exciting events where participants build solutions in a constrained amount of time. People may feel a sense of urgency and excitement as a result, which can keep them motivated and engaged throughout the learning process.
So stay with us through the next section of the article as we discuss the best tips and tricks to stay updated about the ongoing hackathons and finally discuss the tip and tricks to ace the online hackathon.
How to stay updated about the ongoing Hackathons and filter the best ones out to participate?
There are tons of hackathons happening every day around India, and as hackathons get popular it becomes really a tedious task to follow them up. Here are some tips using which you can stay updated about the upcoming online hackathons.
- Follow the social media accounts of organizations that host hackathons on a regular basis, such as HackerEarth, Devpost, and ChallengePost. On their platforms, they frequently announce upcoming hackathons.
- Many hackathon organizers have newsletters that they send out to their subscribers on a regular basis. Subscribing allows you to receive information about upcoming events directly in your inbox.
- Participate in online hackathon communities such as Discord channels, Slack groups, and forums. These communities frequently have channels dedicated to informing members about upcoming hackathons.
- LinkedIn can be a great place to look for upcoming Hackathons and research their popularity. All you need to do is, search for tags like “#hackathons”, “#upcoming”, “#onlineHackathon”, “#virtualHackathon”, etc. and filter the posts. Once filtered, sort the post in the most recent order, this way you can get to know about the most recent hackathon openings. You can also sort the post according to their relevance and popularity and connect with different people in the comment section of the post which you find worth a team up with.
Tips and Tricks to ace you next Virtual Hackathon in 2023
So in this section, we present to you the most important and useful tips and tricks which you can follow to achieve some great results in your next hackathon by acing all the hackathon judging criteria.
1. Find the correct battle to fight
It is very important for you to filter out the right online hackathon to participate in. Ideally, you should look for hackathons that are sponsored and hosted by some big startups or tech giants, so that you get the maximum output from the hackathon.
2. Build a diversified and strong team
Diversification of the team is very important to build a strong team in a Hackathon. It ensures that each member of the team is self-capable of developing the component assigned to him. Also, having a diversified team means that each of the components of your system will be robust and that you will not have to depend on third -parties to contribute to the making of any component of which your team is not aware.
3. Plan your projects carefully and look for their feasibility
While it’s good to be ambitious, it is also very important that your project is feasible. Only feasible projects make their way to attract entrepreneurs and event sponsors.
4. Time management and focus are the keys
Due to the limited time given in the event, it becomes very important for you and your team to not get carried away at each step and to stick to the plan for as long as possible.
Mercer | Mettl is an amazing platform that helps tech giants and startups to host large-scale Hackathons in the virtual space. They offer a seamless platform where a large number of teams can come up and collaborate to foster some great solutions to solve modern-world problems. Hackathons are the nuclei of talents and help these sponsors to identify and hire the most innovative and functional assets for their companies or investments. An online hackathon can change your learning curve in ways you can never imagine.