Individuals who notice hives, rashes, and itching after consuming a medication should consult with the best general physician in Karachi. The specialist will conduct tests to diagnose the cause of the symptoms and evaluate the severity of the condition. The timely treatment can help reduce the pain and discomfort.
Drug allergy immune-mediated adverse response to a specific medication/drug. Women with a family history are more likely to suffer from drug allergies. The patients must seek medical attention, as it can be life-threatening. The symptoms of drug allergy include:
- The person can notice rashes all over the body.
- The rashes cause itchiness and discomfort., It can affect the movement and appearance of the patient. It affects the overall functioning and performance of the patient.
- The individual can notice the formation of hives on the skin.
- The watery eyes and runny nose cause the patient to suffer extreme discomfort. It can affect vision, and the person may suffer from loss of smell.
- The patient suffers from anaphylaxis. It causes low blood pressure, vomiting, and dizziness.
- The individual suffering from a drug allergy has shortness of breath.
Known Causes of Drug Allergy
The causes of drug allergy are:
- The dosage and recurrent exposure can cause drug allergy.
- The administration of the treatment by a specialist is essential, as long duration can affect physical health and cause allergy.
- Individuals taking penicillin, sulfonamides, and tetracycline are more like to suffer from drug allergies. Thus, it is essential to know family history and opt for alternatives.
- Individuals must avoid self-medication. The analgesics such as ibuprofen and aspirin can cause allergies.
- Anticonvulsants and chemotherapy drugs can cause allergies. Thus, it is necessary to take the suitable dosage as per the instruction of the specialist.
Complications Associated with Drug Allergy
The complication that is associated with drug allergy are:
- Without treatment, the patient is at a higher risk of suffering from anaphylaxis, which can cause cardiovascular problems.
- The patient is at a higher risk of getting in shock or suffering from Steven Johnson syndrome.
- The patient may suffer from Toxic epidermal necrolysis. It is a painful condition. It erodes the skin near the eyes, lips, and genitals.
- The patient is more likely to suffer from skin problems; that can cause permanent scarring.
The preventive measures that can help reduce the chances of suffering from drug allergy are:
- Individuals with a family history must ask the doctor to recommend alternatives to the drugs known to cause a reaction.
- People must not self-medicate. The person must contact a doctor to seek guidance regarding the dosage of the medication.
Tests to Diagnose Drug Allergy
The tests that assist in diagnosing an individual with drug allergy are:
- Puncture Test: The test helps understand the cause of the symptoms. A small amount of dosage is injected into the skin to check the response. The reaction confirms that the individual is allergic to the drug.
- Blood Testing: The blood test helps detect the presence of antibodies.
Effective Treatment Options
The medications proven effective in treating patient with drug allergy includes:
- Use of Antihistamines: The medication helps counteract the allergic reaction. It helps the patient function adequately and provides relief.
- Use of Topical Corticosteroids: The medication helps reduce the inflammation of the skin. It helps reduce rashes and irritation.
- Use of Bronchodilators: Patients suffering from congestion and wheezing take bronchodilators to widen the airway.
- Alpha-and beta-adrenergic agonists: The individual exhibiting signs of anaphylaxis take Alpha-and beta-adrenergic agonists to manage the symptoms.
The patients must discuss their symptoms with the best general physician in Islamabad. Individuals exhibiting signs of drug allergy should immediately seek medical attention to avoid complications. The competent and reliable specialist will diagnose and provide guidance regarding the effective and latest treatment options to enhance the quality of life.