Individuals who remain anxious, which affects their functioning and productivity, should visit a psychiatrist at Mid City Hospital. The specialist will conduct psychological tests to determine the condition and its severity. Therapy and medication help the individual feel in control and become content.
Psychotic disorders refer to the disconnection from reality. It affects cognitive abilities, and the person feels anxious, guilty, and suspicious. Moreover, the person may hear voices and see things that do not exist in reality. Family history increases the risk of developing the condition. Individuals above eighteen are more likely to suffer from mental conditions.
What are the Symptoms of Psychotic Disorders?
The known symptoms of psychotic disorders are:
- The person becomes delusional. Friends and family members can notice that the person has become detached from reality.
- The person may suffer from hallucinations, in which they see and hear non-existent voices. It affects their functioning.
- The individual cannot concentrate on a particular task for a long time. They leave their work in the middle and tend to forget about it.
- The person remains sad and inactive most of the time.
- The person has an unhealthy sleeping cycle which has an adverse impact on their physical health.
- The person has an unhealthy relationship with friends and family. They distance themselves from their close friends and family members.
- The person suffers from paranoia.
- The patient changes the topic frequently while having a conversation.
- The person suffers from suicidal thoughts which affect their functioning.
What causes correlate with the condition?
The known causes of psychotic disorders include:
- Individuals with blood relatives diagnosed with a mental illness are more prone to develop the condition.
- The stress and trauma can lead to detachment from reality.
- The change in the functioning of the neurotransmitters can lead to mental disorders.
- Certain conditions such as Parkinson’s’ disease, cancer, Huntington’s disease, and stroke can lead to psychotic disorders.
- Individuals who consume illicit drugs are more likely to suffer from mental disorders.
What are the preventive measures?
The preventive measures include:
- Individuals who experience a traumatic event should deal with their emotions. Piling up grief can cause a psychotic disorder. Therefore, it is essential to talk to a psychologist to deal with their feelings.
- People should rationalize the decisions of close family members and change negative thinking into positive ones.
- Individuals at a higher risk of suffering from mental disorders must exercise and practice relaxation techniques.
- People should avoid smoking and using illicit drugs to enhance their physical and psychological health.
What complications correlate with the condition?
The complication that correlates with the condition include:
- The psychotic disorder can lead to suicidal thoughts, and the person may engage in self-harming activities.
- The person may suffer from metabolic and movement disorders as a complication.
What tests assist in diagnosing the condition?
The tests that help in diagnosing an individual with a psychotic disorder are:
- The specialist will conduct psychological testing to evaluate the severity and the time when the symptoms begin to emerge.
- Behavioral analysis helps know the experiences of the patient that may have been the cause of the condition.
- The imaging testing helps know the changes in the brain that may have been the reason behind the symptoms of the patient.
What treatment options are proven beneficial in treating psychotic disorders?
The medications and therapies that are proven effective include:
- The use of antipsychotics helps deal with hallucinations.
- If the patient wants to harm themselves, then rapid tranquilization help relax them.
- Family counseling helps gain the support of the family members that can help the patient cope with the condition.
- CBT helps the patient change their negative thinking into positive, which allows them to become productive and content.
The psychiatrist in Lahore can help the patient understand the cause of their condition and provide treatment accordingly.