Approximately 4,000 children and adolescents in the United States are diagnosed with primary brain tumors each year. But the question is: “what exactly is Brain Tumor?”
What Is A Brain Tumor?
Brain Tumor is a solid mass of abnormal cells in the brain. It can originate in any region of the brain and at any age. There are two types of brain tumors, malignant(cancerous) and benign (non-cancerous). There are four grades of brain cancer, and the higher the grade of tumors are more critical. The most common types of brain tumors are astrocytomas, meningiomas, oligodendroglia, medulloblastomas, ependymomas, and brainstem gliomas.
What Are The Symptoms Of A Brain Tumor?
According to the best neurologists in India, the following are the most common symptoms of a brain tumor.
- Slurred talk
- Paralysis or weakness of half of the body or face
- Increased intracranial pressure (ICP)
- drowsiness and/or confusion
- Personality changes/judgment disorders
- short term memory loss
- communication problem
- Seizures Endocrine problems (diabetes and/or hormone regulation)
- impaired vision or double vision
- Difficulty walking (ataxia)
Symptoms of a brain tumor can mimic other medical conditions or problems. Always consult the best neurologists in India for a diagnosis.
What Causes Brain Tumors?
- The majority of brain tumors are caused by direct changes in genes or by chromosomal rearrangements that alter gene function.
- Patients with certain genetic disorders (neurofibromatosis, von Hippel-Lindau disease, Li-Fraumeni syndrome, and retinoblastoma) are also at increased risk of developing central nervous system tumors. There are also some reports of children in the same family developing brain tumors who do not have either of these genetic syndromes.
- Some chemicals such as pesticides, petroleum products can change the structure of genes that protect the body from disease and cancer.
- Children who have had radiation therapy to the head as part of previous treatment for another malignancy also have an increased risk of developing new brain tumors.
How Are Brain Tumors Diagnosed?
The best neurology hospital in India takes a complete medical history and physical examination of your child, screening procedures for brain tumors may include:
Neurological exam – Best Neurology hospital in India will test reflexes, muscle strength, eye and mouth movements, coordination and alertness.
Computed tomography scan (also called CT scan) – a diagnostic imaging test that shows detailed images of every part of the body and organs such as the brain.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – Best neurology hospital in India uses this diagnostic procedure to create detailed images of organs and structures in the body.
X-ray – a diagnostic test that uses an invisible beam of electromagnetic energy to create images of internal tissues, bones, and organs on film.
Angiogram – Dye is used to visualize all the blood vessels in the brain with X-rays to detect certain types of tumors.
Myelogram – X-ray image of the spine, similar to an angiogram.
Lumbar puncture/spinal tap – a special needle is placed in the lower back, in the spinal canal. It is the area near the spinal cord. A small amount of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) may be removed and sent for testing.
Positron Emission Tomography (PET) – a procedure that shows areas of cancer that may not be visible on a CT or MRI scan.
Treatments Of Brain Tumor May Include (Alone Or In Combination):
Surgery is usually the first step in treating a brain tumor. The goal is to remove the tumor while preserving neurological function. A surgical biopsy may also be done to check the type of cells that make up the tumor for diagnosis.
- Steroids (used to treat and prevent swelling, especially in the brain)
- Anti-seizure medications
- A ventriculoperitoneal shunt (VP shunt). It may be placed in the head to drain excess fluid from the brain into the abdomen. The VP shunt helps control pressure in the brain.
- Bone marrow transplant
- Rehabilitation (to restore lost motor skills and muscle strength; speech, physical and occupational therapists may be included in the health team)
- Antibiotics (used to treat and prevent infections)
- Ongoing follow-up (to treat disease, detect tumor recurrence, and treat delayed effects of treatment)
When To See The Best Neurologist In India?
Make an appointment with the best neurology hospital in India if you see any signs and symptoms that continue to bother you.